Non-Profit/Tax Exempt Passenger Carrier
Type of Operation:
Non-Profit/Tax Exempt Passenger Carrier.
A non-profit corporation that uses only minibuses to transport its own members or the elderly, disabled, or economically disadvantaged members of a community.
Minibus - any motor vehicle having a seating capacity of not less than 7 nor more than 31 passengers, including the driver, and used in the transportation of passengers.
- This permit authorizes your operations only in Virginia.
- You are limited to transporting members of your organization, if your organization is a membership corporation.
- You are limited to transporting elderly, handicapped, or economically disadvantaged members of the community you serve, if your organization is not a membership corporation.
- You are limited to the use of minibuses to transport the above persons. (See definition of Minibus above.)
- You may not operate over the same route or on an adjacent route with a similar schedule as persons issued a Common Carrier - Regular Route certificate or as a public transportation authority.
- The number of this permit must appear in any advertisement for this service.
- Advertisements for your services may not contain untrue, misleading, or deceptive information.
Tariff and Time Schedule Requirements:
Bodily Injury and Property Damage:
$1,500,000 - 7 to 15 passengers (including the driver)
$5,000,000 - 16 to 31 passengers (including the driver)
License Plates: For-Hire license plates
Vehicle Registration: Must be registered as for-hire
Operating Authority Registration:
- IRP Vehicles - Obtain operating authority decals as proof of operating authority registration
- All Other Vehicles - The operating authority information will be displayed on the vehicle registration card when the for-hire license plates are issued.
$3 Operating Authority Registration fee per vehicle
$3 for a duplicate permit
Address Change - You must report any new address to DMV's Motor Carriers Services within 30 days.
Discontinuing Service - If you go out of business or stop providing the service authorized, you must notify DMV in writing within 30 days.