JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use DMVNow in standard view. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To use standard view, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again. To get the best experience, you'll need to upgrade to a modern browser.
Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Email this pagePrint this page  

Hazardous Materials Endorsement

Applying for an Hazardous Materials Endorsement

The USA Patriot Act requires individuals applying for, or renewing, a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with a HAZMAT endorsement (HME) to be fingerprinted and complete a background records check. The Act also allows customers transferring a CDL with the HAZMAT endorsement from another state to transfer their valid HME background records check without the requirements for fingerprinting or showing proof of citizenship or immigration PROVIDED the background records check is verified by the state of issuance.

To complete a background records check application and be fingerprinted, you must visit one of the DMV customer service centers equipped to process your application.

The non-refundable fee for the background check and fingerprinting is $83.00.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has determined that the security threat assessments (fingerprinting and background check) performed on applicants for a Transportation Worker's Identification Credential (TWIC) card is comparable to that performed on applicants for the HME. As a result, TSA exempts HME applicants from the background records/fingerprint check if a valid TWIC card is submitted with the HME application. The TWIC card must be verified by the customer service representative (CSR) online with TSA to qualify for this option.

If you are applying for a HME using TWIC comparability, the HME expiration date will be tied to the expiration date of the TWIC - the HME will expire no later than the current expiration date of the TWIC. The non-refundable reduced fee is $41.00. You may visit any DMV customer service center to process your reduced fee application.

To be eligible for a HAZMAT endorsement, you are required to provide a document to show proof of U.S. citizenship or immigration, as specified in the Federal Motor Carrier Administration's Code of Federal Regulations, 49 CFR Section 383.71.

If you are applying for the HAZMAT endorsement for the first time, your CDL will be issued without a HAZMAT endorsement. Allow at least 45 days for the HAZMAT endorsement to be processed. If renewing your CDL with the HAZMAT endorsement you will receive your CDL with a hazardous materials endorsement. The HME will be contingent on TSA approval of eligibility based on the background records/fingerprint check.

If you are transferring into Virginia, you will receive a HAZMAT endorsement on your CDL if you currently hold the endorsement on your out-of-state CDL and DMV can verify your eligibility with your current state. You will also be required to pass the HAZMAT Knowledge test in Virginia. If you have not completed a fingerprint-based Transportation Security Administration (TSA) background check in your current state, or your eligibility cannot be verified by DMV, you may be issued a Virginia CDL with a HAZMAT endorsement only if you apply for and pass the background check and HAZMAT Knowledge test in Virginia.

Fingerprint and application information will be sent to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). TSA will perform background checks, make security assessments and notify DMV whether the application is approved or denied.

Based on the results from TSA, DMV will either issue the CDL with the HAZMAT endorsement or send you a notification of denial by TSA. If approved, you may return to DMV to be photographed and pick up your CDL, provided you have successfully completed the HAZMAT Knowledge test.

For renewal, DMV encourages you to renew as soon as you receive your renewal invitation. This allows ample time for the federal background check to be completed. A customer who waits to renew until his current CDL expires, will be eligible to renew the CDL, but will not receive the HME. He must apply for an original HME and wait for eligibility determination by TSA.

The background records check is valid for up to five years.

[Back to Top]

USA Patriot Act

The Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism (USA Patriot) Act is a federal law that addresses national security and includes provisions that require commercial drivers who transport hazardous materials to be fingerprinted and successfully complete a criminal history background records check.

The federal requirements are issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and support the USA Patriot Act. These requirements change the application process for Commercial Driver's License (CDL) holders applying for or renewing a CDL with a hazardous materials HAZMAT endorsement.

For more information about the USA Patriot Act, you may visit the TSA website at, contact TSA by phone at (866) 289-9673 or email to

[Back to Top]

DMV Locations for HAZMAT Applications

DMV Locations and Addresses for HAZMAT Background Check Applications and Fingerprinting

Location Street Address
Abingdon 25552 Lee Highway
Charlottesville 2055 Abbey Road
Emporia 103 Commonwealth Blvd
Farmville 300 North Virginia Street
Fredericksburg 5700 Southpoint Boulevard
Hampton 8109 Roanoke Avenue
Harrisonburg 3281 Peoples Drive
Manassas 9800 Goodwin Drive
Martinsville 310 Starling Avenue
Norton 1729 Park Avenue S.W.
Onancock 20 North Street
Portsmouth 6400 Bickford Parkway
Richmond 2300 West Broad Street
Roanoke 5220 Valleypark Drive
South Boston 2039 Hamilton Boulevard
Staunton 17 First Street
Tyson's Corner 1968 Gallows Road
Virginia Beach/Hilltop 1712 Donna Drive
Winchester 4050 Valley Pike
Wytheville 800 East Main Street
Suite 100
Any DMV 2 Go mobile office The DMV 2 Go mobile offices travel to various locations. Visit to find out when the mobile office will be in your community.

[Back to Top]

Acceptable Documents for HAZMAT Endorsement

To be eligible for a HAZMAT endorsement, you are required to provide documentation to show proof of U.S. citizenship or immigration status, as specified in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Code of Federal Regulations, 49 CFR Section 383.71.

You must present documentation as indicated below - EITHER one document from List A OR one document from both List B AND List C. Please note that plastic Birth Registration Cards, whether issued by Virginia or another state, are not acceptable.

Option 1 - One document from List A

List A

  • Unexpired U.S. Passport (book or card)
  • Unexpired Merchant Mariner Document (MMD)
  • Unexpired Free and Secure Trade (FAST) Card
  • Unexpired NEXUS Card
  • Unexpired Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection (SENTRI) Card
  • Unexpired United States Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
  • Unexpired Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC)
  • Unexpired Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
  • nexpired Foreign Passport AND immigrant visa with I-551 annotation of "Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I-551 Evidencing Permanent Residence of 1 Year"
  • Unexpired Re-entry Permit (I-327)

Option 2 - One document from both List B and List C

List B

  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or 561)
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or 570)
  • U. S. Citizen Identification Card (I-179 or I-197)
  • Expired U.S. passport (within 12 months of expiration)
  • Unexpired driver's license issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States
  • Unexpired ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States. Must include a State or State agency seal or logo (such as a State University ID)
  • U.S. military ID card or U.S. retired military ID
  • U.S. military dependent's card
  • Unexpired Department of Homeland Security (DHS) / Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
  • Unexpired Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC)

List C

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
  • Certification of Report of Birth Abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545)
  • Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or outlying possession of the United States bearing an official seal
  • Voter's registration card
  • Native American tribal document (with photo)
  • U.S. social security card
  • U.S. military discharge papers (DD-214)
  • Department of Transportation (DOT) medical card
  • U.S. civil marriage certificate
  • Unexpired Merchant Mariner License (MML) bearing an official raised seal, or a certified copy
[Back to Top]