DMV News Releases
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEFriday, April 6, 2012
Avoid "13" on Your Decal-Renew for Two or Three Years
DMV Offers Discounts on Multi-Year Registration Renewals
RICHMOND- If your vehicle registration is up for renewal this year, and you renew for one year, then you will display the number 13 on your car's tags. Superstitious? You can't avoid April's Friday the 13th date next week, but you can avoid the number 13 on your license plate and save money by renewing your tag for two or three years.
Recently, a customer came into the Roanoke Customer Service Center to exchange her employer's decals. As his assistant, she had renewed several of his vehicle registrations for one year online. When the year "13" decals were received in the mail, the employer insisted that she exchange the decals by renewing the vehicles for an additional year to avoid 13.
People who have a true fear associated with the number 13 are called Triskaidekaphobics. Even without the phobia, many people just don't like the number 13 and would rather avoid it, if possible. Avoiding the number 13 can be traced back to medieval times.
- Witches' covens are associated with having thirteen members
- Streets or housing estates in several countries skip the house number 13
- Some hotels avoid a floor 13 due to the universal superstition of bad luck
- Friday the 13th is considered for some to be the most unlucky day possible. The day inspired a popular horror film franchise.
If eligible, you can save the most money by renewing online. Renew your vehicle registration for two years, receive a $2 discount. You can save even more by renewing your registration for three years at a $3 discount. By renewing online, you will receive an additional $1 discount. You can also renew for two or three over the phone.
- Two and three-year registrations are not available:
- if your vehicle has a gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more
- if your vehicle is registered under the International Registration Plan
- if you have paid the uninsured motor vehicle fee
- Three-year registration is not available:
- when you initially register your vehicle
- if you are renewing your registration by mail
- if your vehicle is garaged in Arlington, Fairfax City, Loudon, Prince William, Stafford, Alexandria, Fairfax County, Falls Church, Manassas or Manassas Park, since vehicles in these localities are subject to an every other year emissions inspection.
For more information, visit www.dmvNOW.com.