Request a Police Crash Report from DMV
The Department of Motor Vehicles maintains the official record of all reportable crashes occurring within the Commonwealth. Crashes may be reported by law enforcement (FR300P) or by an individual involved (FR200 ). DMV maintains the reports for a minimum of 36 months from the date of the crash. Sections 46.2-379 and 46.2-380 of the Code of Virginia control the release of data from the reports.
Who May Request
Persons involved in the crash:
In accordance with § 46.2-380 of the Code of Virginia, DMV will release a complete crash report to persons involved in the crash or to their authorized representatives. This includes the following:
- A driver, injured person, property owner, passenger, or vehicle owner
- A personal representative of any person involved (e.g., conservator, executor)
- An attorney representing any person involved
- An authorized representative of an insurance company
- A parent or legal guardian of a minor (18 years old or younger)
- A person with written permission of an individual directly injured in the crash
Persons not involved in the crash:
In accordance with § 46.2-379 of the Code of Virginia, DMV may disclose the following information, if available, from a police crash report (FR300P) on request of any person allowed under another federal or state law to obtain such information.
- Date, time, and location of the crash
- Name and address of each driver
- Name of each vehicle owner
- Name of each injured person
- Name of each witness
- Name of one investigating officer
How to Request
Submit a written request for a crash report or complete an Information Request Form (CRD 93) and payment (check or credit card). The request must include:
- Crash Involvement (e.g., driver, injured person, vehicle owner, etc.)
- Crash date
- Crash time
- Crash location (street, city/town/county)
- Driver Name
- Driver's License Number (must be provided if the requester was involved in the crash)
Requests can be made by mail or FAX to the address below.
- Customer Records Work Center, Room 514
- Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
- Post Office Box 27412
- Richmond, VA 23269
- Fax: (804) 367-0390
We will return the requested documents to you via U.S. Postal Service first class mail.
The fee is $8.00 per crash report requested. NOTE:This fee is required even if the crash report is not found in DMV records.
We accept cash, check or credit card payments. High volume requesters may elect to be billed and must supply the name of their company and federal identification number.