JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use DMVNow in standard view. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To use standard view, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again. To get the best experience, you'll need to upgrade to a modern browser.
Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Email this pagePrint this page  

Change of Address or Name

Address Change

You must notify DMV within 30 days of changing your address. Each time that you change your address with DMV, you can apply to register to vote or change your voter registration address with the State Board of Elections.

You must provide DMV with the street address of your principal Virginia residence. A post office box or business address is not acceptable and your principal address must be in Virginia. However, if you do not want your residence address to appear on your driver's license or photo ID card, you may provide DMV with an alternate address in addition to your residence address. This alternate address must also be in Virginia.

If you change your residence address or alternate address to a location outside Virginia, your driver's license or photo ID card will be cancelled. Exceptions may be made for some individuals such as active duty military personnel and Virginia residents employed outside Virginia.

Use one of the methods listed below to change your address:

  • online
  • by calling DMV at (804) 497-7100
  • by visiting any DMV customer service center

You may purchase a new driver's license or photo ID card showing the address change or a free change of address card will be mailed to you. You may also obtain a revised vehicle registration card.

Name Change

In order to change your name on your DMV record(s) and document(s), you must visit a DMV customer service center and bring with you:

  • A completed "Driver's License and Identification Card Application" (DL-1P) requesting a change of name.
  • One of the proof documents listed below:
    • Marriage certificate (same-sex marriage or civil union documents are not accepted).
    • Divorce decree if the decree states the change from married name to maiden name.
    • Original or teste copy of the court order granting the name change.
  • Your valid Virginia issued driver's license, learner's permit, or photo identification card, if you currently hold one. If you cannot present your Virginia driver's license, learner's permit, CDL, CDL instruction permit or photo identification, then you must present one proof of identity from the primary document list. A list of documents on the primary document list is presented in Obtaining a Virginia Driver's License or Identification (ID) Card (DMV 141). en Espa�ol,
  • If you are applying for any Virginia issued driver's license or ID card for the first time, you must also present documents proving identity, residency, and legal presence. Information about documents that DMV will accept can be found in Obtaining a Virginia Driver's License or Identification (ID) Card (DMV 141). en Espa�ol, or you can use the interactive Document Guide.

If you currently hold a valid Virginia driver's license or ID card, you must obtain a duplicate driver's license or ID card once your name change has been processed.

Validity of Documents

All documents must be originals and all documents must be verifiable with the issuing entity. Photocopies will not be accepted. DMV will not accept a document as proof of identity, residency or social security number when there is reason to believe it has been altered, fraudulently obtained or is fake, forged, counterfeit, or otherwise non-genuine or illegitimate. DMV may require additional documents.

Falsifying information on any driver's license or photo identification card application is a criminal offense. Altering or assisting a person with improperly or fraudulently obtaining a driver's license, learner's permit, CDL, CDL instruction permit or photo ID card are also criminal offenses.

Documents accepted by DMV as proof of identity, Virginia residency and social security number may change without prior notice.